The JESAM Child Protection Policy (CPP) applies to all staff, priests, brothers, the board of trustees, paid staff, volunteers and sessional workers, agency staff, students or anyone working on behalf of the Jesuit Conference of Major Superiors of Africa and Madagascar (JESAM).
The purpose of this policy:
- to protect children and young people who receive JESAM's services. This includes the children of adults who use our services.
- to provide staff and volunteers with the overarching principles that guide our approach to child protection.
JESAM believes that a child or young person should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children and young people and to keep them safe. We are committed to practice in a way that protects them.
We recognise that:
- the welfare of the child/young person is paramount
- all children, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
- working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, care givers and other agencies are committed to promote young people's welfare.
We will seek to keep children and young people safe by:
- valuing them, listening to and respecting them
- adopting child protection practices through procedures and a code of conduct for staff and volunteers
- providing effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support and training
- recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
- sharing information about child protection and good practice with children, parents, staff and volunteers
- sharing concerns with agencies who need to know, and involving parents and children appropriately.
We are committed to reviewing our policy and good practice annually.
This policy in English | French, was last reviewed on: October 2016
The Jesuit Conference of Major Superiors of Africa and Madagascar (JESAM)