The social apostolate in the Jesuit Conference of Africa and Madagascar (JCAM) is undergoing re-development. In fact, after about fifty years of activities of some social centres of the Society of Jesus, we are today witnessing a re-orientation of the commitment – in practice; there is a change in perspective.
When, in 1962, the French Jesuits founded the African Institute for Economic and Social Development (INADES) in Abidjan (Ivory Coast) presently Côte d’Ivoire, its mission was to study and to teach the Church’s social doctrine and to train future leaders of Africa. For many years, it also offered courses on development and agriculture for the middle class.
In the Democratic Republic of Congo, the Centre for Studies and Social Action (CEPAS) has published the magazine Congo-Afrique for over fifty years. In the light of the fifty years of independence of many African countries, a number of Jesuit social centres are re-orientating themselves in order to adapt to the present situation and respond to current needs.
We are witnessing changes in a number of the earlier centres: INADES has become Centre for Research and Action for Peace (CERAP). And the Centre for Studies and Training for Development (CEFOD), Chad, now focuses on the good management of oil resources, as CEPAS does on those of mining.
The Society’s most recent social centres, such as the Jesuit Centre for Theological Reflection (JCTR), established in 1988, or Hakimani Centre (JHC) founded in 2001, favour a different model of social centre. They are smaller and concern themselves with those new themes (peace, democracy, good governance, reconciliation, public debt, domestic economics, etc…) which are very important for the continent.
Social Centres in the conference
1. Action sociale cheche ACE/RDC
2. Center chretien pour les Dirigeants ET Cadres des Enterprises (CADICEC) ACE/RDC
3. Centre culturel Boboto (CCB) ACE/RDC
4. Centre d’Etudes Pour I ‘Action Sociale (CEPAS) ACE/RDC
5. Centre Mgr Munzihirwa ACE/RDC
6. Centre Agro-pastoral Inyangi
7. Centre D’Etude et de Formation Pour le Development (CEFOD) AOC/Chad
8. Centre de Recherche et d’action Pour la Paix (CERAP) AOC/Ivory Coast
9. Jesuit Hakimani Centre (JHC) AOR/ Kenya
10. Centre Social Arrupe (CSA) MDG/Madagascar
11. Centre Foi et Justice (CFJ) MDG/Madagascar
12. Centre culturel Adolphe Razafitsalama (CCAR) MDG/Madagascar
13. Formation and Promotion Centre MOZ/Mozambique
14. House (6) for HIV/AIDS Orphans-Fonte Boa Missin MOZ/Mozambique
15. Fr Cirilo Social Centre MOZ/Mozambique
16. Parish Social Centre MOZ/Mozambique
17. Centre Socio-culture URUMURI RWB/ Rwanda
18. MIZERO RWB/Rwanda
19. Service Yezu Mwiza (SYM) RWB/Rwanda
20. The Jesuit Institute-South Africa (JISA) SAF/South Africa
21. Jesuit Centre for Theological Reflection (JCTR) ZAM Zambia
22. Jesuit Centre for Ecology and Development ZAM/Malawi
23. Kasisi Agricultural Training Centre (KATC) ZAM/Zambia
24. Silveira House ZIM/Zimbabwe
25. Zambuko House: ZIM/Zimbabwe
26. Jesuit AIDS project: ZIM/Zimbabwe
27. Aids Counseling Mashambazou ZIM/Zimbabwe
28. Famine Relief Programme ZIM/Zimbabwe
29. Makumbi Children’s Home ZIM/Zimbabwe
30. Pedro Arrupe Centre Musami ZIM/Zimbabwe
31. Conference Centre Culturel Loyola (CCL)/Lomé-Togo
32. Centre Esperance Loyola (CEL)/Lomé-Togo