JCAM vision statement
The Jesuit Conference of Africa and Madagascar (JCAM) promotes, within the communities, formation houses, ministries and governance of the Society, a consistent culture of protection and safety for minors; that is, a normal, habitual way of living, relating, working, in which those whom we serve, particularly children, always feel respected, safe, and loved. JCAM commits to creating a culturally sensitive and contextually relevant safeguarding environment to ensure a generation free from abuse.
This Child Protection Policy (CPP) applies to all staff, priests, brothers, the board of trustees, paid staff, volunteers and sessional workers, agency staff, students or anyone working on behalf of the Jesuit Conference of Africa and Madagascar (JCAM).
The purpose of this policy:
- to protect children and young people who receive our services. This includes the children of adults who use our services.
- to provide staff and volunteers with the overarching principles that guide our approach to child protection.
We recognise that:
- the welfare of the child/young person is paramount
- all children, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
- working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, care givers and other agencies are committed to promote young people's welfare.
We will seek to keep children and young people safe by:
- valuing them, listening to and respecting them
- adopting child protection practices through procedures and a code of conduct for staff and volunteers
- providing effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support and training
- recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
- sharing information about child protection and good practice with children, parents, staff and volunteers
- sharing concerns with agencies who need to know, and involving parents and children appropriately.
We are committed to reviewing our policy and good practice annually.